Littelfuse GDTs (Gas Discharge Tubes) are placed in front of, and in parallel with, sensitive telecom equipment such as power lines, communication lines, signal lines and data transmission lines to help protect them from damage caused by transient surge voltages that may result from lightning strikes and equipment switching operations. These devices do not influence the signal in normal operation. However, in the event of an overvoltage surge, such as a lightning strike, the GDT switches to a low impedance state and diverts the energy away from the sensitive equipment.
These GDTs offer a high level of surge protection, a broad voltage range, low capacitance, and many form factors including new surface-mount devices, which makes them suitable for applications such as MDF (Main Distribution Frame) modules, high data-rate telecom applications (e.g. ADSL and VDSL), and surge protection on power lines. Their low capacitance also results in less signal distortion. When used in a coordinated circuit protection solution with PolySwitch devices, they can help equipment manufacturers meet stringent safety regulatory standards.
- Wide range of voltages (75 V - 4000 V)
- Crowbar device with low arc voltage
- Devices tested per ITU K.12 recommendations
- Various lead configurations and surface-mount options
- High accuracy spark-over voltages for high precision designs
- Optional fail-short mechanism
- Low capacitance and insertion loss
- Wide range of form factor
- Non-radioactive materials
- Devices certified to UL497B and UL1449
Three Electrode Gas Discharge Tubes