STMicroelectronics' SPV1040 is a high-efficiency, low-power, low-voltage DC-DC step-up converter that maximizes the energy transferred from the solar panel to the load using an embedded MPPT algorithm. It is based on a perturb-and-observe method which applies a duty cycle variation to a PWM signal according to the input power trend.
Furthermore, the device guarantees the safety of the application by implementing either an overcurrent or overtemperature protection and regulating the battery voltage at any time.
The 0.3 V start-up input voltage is well suited to any portable application where only a few photovoltaic power cells are used.
- 0.3 V to 5.5 V input operating voltage
- 120 mΩ internal active switch
- 140 mΩ internal synchronous rectifier
- 2 to 5.2 V output voltage regulation
- 1.8 A maximum output current
- 155 °C over-temperature shutdown
- Smart phones and GPS systems
- Wireless headsets
- Small appliances, sensors
- Portable media players
- Digital still cameras
- Toys and portable healthcare