The AS5048 from ams is an easy to use 360° angle position sensor with a 14-bit, high resolution output. The maximum system accuracy is 0.05°, assuming linearization and averaging is done by the external microcontroller.
The IC measures the absolute position of the magnet’s rotation angle and consists of Hall sensors, analog digital converter, and digital signal processing. The zero position can be programmed via SPI or I²C command; a programmer is no longer needed. This simplifies the assembly of the complete system because the zero position of the magnet does not need to be mechanically aligned. This helps developers to shorten their developing time. The sensor tolerates misalignment, air gap variations, temperature variations, as well external magnetic fields. This robustness and wide temperature range (-40°C up to +150°C) of the AS5048 makes the IC ideal for rotation angle sensing in harsh industrial and medical environments. Several AS5048 ICs can be connected in daisy chain for serial data read out. The absolute position information of the magnet is directly accessible over a PWM output and can be read out over a standard SPI or a high speed I²C interface. AS5048A has a SPI interface, and the AS5048B has an I²C interface. Both devices offer a PWM output. An internal voltage regulator allows the AS5048 to operate at either 3.3 V or 5 V supplies.
- 360° contactless angle position sensor
- Standard SPI or high speed I²C interface
- Simple programmable zero position via SPI or I²C command
- Angle accuracy 0.05°after system linearization and averaging
- -40°C to +150°C ambient temperature range
- Tolerant to air gap variations magnetic field input range: 30 mT – 70 mT
- Pulse width modulated output (PWM)
- No programmer needed
- Daisy chain capability
- 14-bit full scale resolution 0.0219°/LSB
- 3.3 V/5 V compliant
- 14-pin TSSOP package (5 mm x 6.4 mm)