The Zippy2 Ethernet Combo Board is a low cost expansion board for the BeagleBoard that provides the following peripherals:
Zippy2 Ethernet Combo Board
The Zippy2 board is compatible with all revisions of the BeagleBoard (both Rev B and Rev C BeagleBoards)
- 10/100BaseT Ethernet
- Second SD/MMC Interface
- Second RS232 Serial Interface
- Real-Time clock with Battery Back-up
- I2C Interface (+5V level)
- AT24C01 Serial EEPROM for Board Identification
The Zippy2 provides a standard 10/100BaseT interface (10/100
Megabit) and uses the Micrel KSZ8851SNL SPI to Ethernet controller.
The Zippy2 provides a second SD/MMC interface. The interface supports both 3.3V and 1.8V memory cards.
Real Time Clock
The Zippy2 provides a battery backed-up Real Time Clock (RTC). The backup power is provided by a small 3V lithium coin battery and is held in place by a battery holder.
Compatible 3V Lithium Coin Batteries:
Battery cell size = 12mm.
The RTC battery is not included.
RS-232 Serial Port
The Zippy2 provides a second RS-232 serial port for the BeagleBoard. There are two serial connectors provided. Either connector is available for use: 1) standard DB9 Male connector, or 2) 2x5 shrouded header (0.1 inch pin spacing).
I²C Expansion Interface
The Zippy2 provides a expansion connector (4 pin header) for access to the BeagleBoard I²C signals. The signals have been level translated to 5V to allow easy connection to standard 5V peripherals.
I²C expansion header pin assignments:
- pin 1 - +5V Power
- pin 2 - SDA (5V signal level)
- pin 3 - SCL (5V signal level)
- pin 4 - Ground
Board size = 3.0 inches x 3.1 inches (same size as the BeagleBoard).
Each Zippy2 board comes with the following:
- Four (4) board standoffs
- Four (4) board to board spacers
- Eight (8) screws
- 1 male expansion connector (2x14 male header - unshrouded) that will need to be soldered into the BeagleBoard's expansion header.
1) The expansion header (J3) on the BeagleBoard does not come populated with a connector. We supply one connector (2x14 male header) that has to be soldered into the BeagleBoard's expansion header by the user.
2) We recommend using an external power supply with the BeagleBoard + Zippy2 combination. We have a power supply that works with the BeagleBoard located here.