MAX2078 Octal-Channel Ultrasound Front-End with CW Doppler Mixers
Maxim’s easy-to-use IC for high-end 2D, PW, and CW Doppler imaging capability
|Maxim's MAX2078 octal-channel ultrasound front-end is a fully-integrated bipolar, high-density octal-channel ultrasound receiver optimized for low cost, high-channel count, high-performance portable, and cart-based ultrasound systems. This easy-to-use IC allows the user to achieve high-end 2D, PW, and CW Doppler (CWD) imaging capability using substantially less space and power.
The highly compact imaging receiver lineup, including low-noise amplifier (LNA), variable-gain amplifier (VGA), and anti-alias filter (AAF), achieves an ultra-low 2.4dB noise figure at RS = RIN = 200Ω at a very low 64.8mW per channel power dissipation. The full imaging receiver channel has been optimized for second-harmonic imaging with -64dBFS second-harmonic distortion performance with a 1VP-P 5MHz output signal. This bipolar front-end has also been optimized for excellent low-velocity PW and color-flow Doppler sensitivity with an exceptional near-carrier SNR of 140dBc/Hz at 1kHz offset from a 5MHz 1VP-P output clutter signal.
A fully integrated high-performance, programmable CWD beam-former is also included. Separate I/Q mixers for each channel are available for optimal CWD sensitivity in high-clutter environments, yielding an impressive near-carrier SNR of 154dBc/Hz at 1kHz offset from a 1.25MHz 200mVP-P input clutter signal.
The MAX2078 octal-channel ultrasound front-end is available in a small 10mm x 10mm, 68-pin thin QFN package with an exposed pad and is specified over a 0°C to +70°C temperature range.
- 8 full channels of LNA, VGA, AAF, and CWD mixers in a small, 10mm x 10mm TQFN package
- Pin compatible with MAX2077 with LNA, VGA, and AAF in 10mm x 10mm TQFN variant
- Ultra-low full-channel noise figure of 2.4dB at RIN = RS = 200Ω
- Low output-referred noise of 23nV/√Hz at 5MHz, 20dB gain, yielding a broadband SNR of 68dB for excellent second-harmonic imaging
- High near-carrier SNR of 140dBc/Hz at 1kHz offset from a 5MHz, 1VP-P output signal, and 20dB of gain for excellent low-velocity PW and color-flow Doppler sensitivity in a high-clutter environment
- Ultra-low-power 64.8mW per full-channel (LNA, VGA, and AAF) normal imaging mode (234mW per channel in CWD mode)
- Selectable active input-impedance matching of 50Ω, 100Ω, 200Ω, and 1kΩ
- Wide input-voltage range of 330mVP-P in high LNA gain mode and 550mVP-P in low LNA gain mode
- Integrated selectable 3-pole 9MHz, 10MHz, 15MHz, and 18MHz Butterworth AAF
- Fast-recovery, low-power modes (< 2µs)
- Fully integrated, high dynamic range CWD beam-former with near-carrier SNR of 154dBc/Hz at 1kHz offset from a 1.25MHz, 200mVP-P input clutter signal
|Digi-Key P/N||Manufacturer P/N||Package||Description||Datasheet|
|MAX2078CTK+-ND||MAX2078CTK+||68-TQFN||IC FRNT-END ULTRASOUND 8CH 68QFN|