Skip navigation
TechXchange
Digi-Key TechXchange Communities > General > Discussions
5371 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2014 4:42 PM by Scott594 RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 20, 2014 10:32 PM

Do Companies Frown on Tattoos, Piercings etc.

Hi guys, I have a friend who is going into University in a few months and he is a bit worried that even after graduating, he might encounter some prejudice because he has tattoos on his knuckles and on his arm, they aren't offensive, but they are very easy to spot. So lemme ask, has anyone ever experienced prejudice because of these things? Or do you have tattoos and yet have not experienced any prejudice at all? Or maybe known someone who has experienced something like it?

I can't really offer him advice since I don't have anything like that myself.

Thanks for your time!

• boborrob Novice 47 posts since
    Apr 4, 2014
    Jul 25, 2014 3:27 AM (in response to JohnDavis)
    tattoos

I don't have a tattoo but I have friends who do and they are doing fine with their jobs. Although his could be covered up with clothes. The biggest factor that I can think of is the individual policies that companies have. If you are really worried, you can try and look for companies that you might want to work for in the future and ask their human resources what their policies are.

There are some companies, the newer ones usually who encourage diversity and would have no problem with tattoos and the like.

• DYackman Novice 6 posts since
    Aug 4, 2014
    Aug 4, 2014 3:53 PM (in response to JohnDavis)

Companies DO frown on tattoos, piercings, etc., etc.  Whether or not they say they do - they DO!  It just doesn't look very professional.  So, if you want to avoid potential discrimination or loss of employment, you might want to avoid conspicuous tattoos.  You can always take your chances, though.

• SkyWire Novice 1 posts since
    Aug 6, 2014
    Aug 6, 2014 9:48 PM (in response to JohnDavis)
    Re: Do Companies Frown on Tattoos, Piercings etc.

Tattoo on his hands?  WHY?

To avoid any tattoo prejudice, simply don't have tattoos. Oops---too late!

• Scott594 Novice 6 posts since
    Aug 21, 2013
    Sep 10, 2014 4:42 PM (in response to JohnDavis)

Yes, people DO take into consideration anything that indicates questionable decision making or lack of personal responsibility.

As an employer, I wouldn't be doing my job if I did it any other way.

That being said, everybody makes mistakes, and the more unfortunate have lasting reminders of them. If I were in such a situation, and was looking for a job in the business world, I'd look into laser removal.

The knuckle tattoos WILL become a hinderance at some point in a technical/science career.

I personally have no issues with tattoos, but believe they should be placed with the current social prejudices in mind, preferably where normal work attire will cover them. Content matters as well.

A throat, face or hand tattoo may as well read "don't hire me, I'm rebellious and irresponsible"

Fair or not, that is the way it is.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points