Skip navigation
TechXchange
Digi-Key TechXchange Communities > Projects and Designs > Discussions
3772 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2014 5:41 PM by SteveR442 RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 21, 2014 9:58 AM

Cost effective wifi

I have a monitoring station that I would like to link into my LAN via wifi.  The data being transmitted is relatively small, maybe 1 kB per week or so and the communication is two way, a monitoring center or control center might send info back to the microcontroller that changes its functions, etc.  Any suggestions on a low-cost, low-power wifi module?  I'd do something other than wifi except I need reliable two way data flow and easy integration into the network.  That being said, if you can think of anything that would work in place of wifi, I'd be open to suggestions.

Thanks!

• MicrochipRTCfr Apprentice 94 posts since
    Sep 4, 2012
    Apr 22, 2014 8:48 AM (in response to LanceLK)
    Cost effective wifi

Hi,

The RN-171 low power WiFi module is very simple to use. It uses high level ASCII commands such as "set wlan SSID name" so that in as few as 4 commands your module gets connected to an AP. Withe the RN-171-EK you can get started within a day.

A good example of the possibilities of this module, even in standalone mode is shown here .

You can chose between TCP, UDP or html client mode to exchnage data.

Regards

• SteveR442 Novice 1 posts since
    Apr 23, 2014
    Apr 23, 2014 5:41 PM (in response to LanceLK)
    Cost effective wifi

Hi-

Consider products from RFDigital.Com

They have the RFDANT which is a complete radio inside a little whip antenna. 

Its super easy to use with a UART interface but its pricey at $69 USD in low quantities.

They have similar chip solutions for higher volume around $15 that are also compatible.

Its 2.4GHz but range is stated to be 2000 ft.

I'm evaluating technologies, have not personally tried this unit.

DIGI X-Bee Pro is another to consider.. 900MHz so longer range possible.

Good luck

Steve

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points