Skip navigation
TechXchange
Digi-Key TechXchange Communities > General > Discussions
15182 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2013 1:07 AM by harpat RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 15, 2013 2:06 PM

Will the Internet-of-Things improve or burden our lives?

The "Internet-of-Things," is suppose to improve communication, automation, and business optimization. For those who haven't yet heard the buzzword, it refers to increase in objects connected to the internet (household appliances, power monitors, roadways, etc)

Do you guys think this will improve the quality of life by automating certain aspects of our life and/or giving us more direct control?

- example: Being able to monitor power usage in real-time to make smarter decisions.

-example 2: Automatically activating the coffee maker once the alarm clock is shut off.

or are we becoming too reliant on technology to the point of being enslaved by it?

-example: No longer being able to do these tasks independently

-example 2: Making our lives much more vulnerable since almost everything may potentially be hacked?

or worse, are we sacrificing our privacy to "big brother?" on account of all the personal information we'll be generating

-example: Auto insurance policy rates will be based on how the car is driven; anyone who drives over the speed limit will be penalized.

I look forward to fine-tuning my power usage, work commute, etc; however, I'd have to really read between the lines to make sure what I'd be sacrificing.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)