Skip navigation
TechXchange
Digi-Key TechXchange Communities > General > Discussions
26049 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2012 7:22 AM by M.Emara RSS
Currently Being Moderated

May 29, 2012 11:20 AM

If you use a bike helmet would you consider this new product?

When I ride my bike I always wear a helmet, so when I saw this video (embedded in the link below) I was intrigued.

http://www2.electronicproducts.com/_Invisible_bike_helmets_from_H%C3%B6vding_rely_on_ST_s_motion_sensors_and_microcontrollers-article-newscn_29_may2012-html.aspx

However as much as I like the air bag concept of the helmet, dont think I would feel compfortable with it. What if it wouldn't open when needed?

How reliable do you think this really is?

• donstratton Novice 1 posts since
    Jun 7, 2012

Interesting concept, that would require a lot of proof before I considered it a reasonable alternative to traditional helmets. I do NOT wear a helmet when bicycling, as the statistics cited for survivability are more than a tad misleading and I have personal experience with a situation where someone died BECAUSE they were wearing a helmet and would have otherwise survived. Nothing is perfect, and in some situations and for some people I can clearly see the value of a helmet, but it is borderline enough for me that I pass.

That said, I'd love to see a boatload more R&D on a product like this. Would I use it? No way.

--Don

• imagery Novice 1 posts since
    Aug 30, 2012

I had a friend that got hit by a mirror from a truck while riding.  How would this have protected him?  Also, what if you are going around a turn and loose traction?  There are more things that can go wrong then just being hit.  I have been riding for a long time and I could not see using this as a helmet.

• Andrew_Dreasler Novice 6 posts since
    Aug 30, 2012

It's an interesting concept, but I see a few marketing problems:

1) It does not eliminate the, for lack of a better term, 'd0rk' factor.  You no longer need to wear a d0rky helmet, but now you're wearing a d0rky thick collar.

2) There is no place to put traditional safety accessories, such as helmet-mounted rear-view mirrors.

3) With all the tech involved, the price tag would exceed that of helmets for life for a family of four who are all into X-treme sports biking. counting both the helmets that crack fulfilling their protection role and the kids outgrowing helmets as they grow up.

4a) A traditional helmet can be worn after a spill and will provide some protection even if compromized, it's not a good as an undamaged helmet but it's still better than nothing. The air bag will either deflate and become useless, or...

4b) If it stays inflated, raises the d0rkiness factor to the point where traditional helmets are 'mirrorshades cool' by comparison..

• M.Emara Novice 37 posts since
    Sep 14, 2011

Good afternoon Everybody

First of all I want to thank you ‘Christina N’ for always publishing interesting topics. I see that Hodving Invisible Helmet is a good innovative idea. The application is a real example of how creativity should be. They tried to satisfy people needs with a nice good looking product guaranteeing their safety but unfortunately the result was expensive, not practical and most probably woudl be used for once in life.

I would like to give a big thump for the creativity of the idea and in the great ability of combining art design with sensors and electronics in a form making it completely natural.

Answering your question “What if it wouldn't open when needed?” Immediately, your question reminds me of ‘Parachuting’ what if the that parachute didn’t open on the prober moment! I think as the Parachute successfully gained people trust, the Hodving Helmet could also gain people trust if they applied the right techniques.

About the question of reliability; we can say that reliability is a term group inside itself other certain terms: availability and proficiency. Simply, reliability means being available to do a certain service and doing this service at the right time and in the right way (proficiency). The availability of Hodving Helmet is directly depending on the power of the batteries and the status of sensor; without working batteries or any unexpected problem with sensors the helmet will not be available anymore it will be just a useless scarf. Another point I think that the helmet will be used only for once, after it break out you will not be able to use it again – I just guess I am not completely sure. About the point of proficiency, the device is based on deploying a hood around head and neck for shocks protection, but what if the head had fallen down over a non-flat surface contains spikes? What about as Imagery said a hard object hit the rider head while he is going on by his bike? The sensor will not be able to detect any change in the rider latitude and longitude.

I don’t think that this product will survive for a long time in the market. Let me list the points I see that it will work against this product in the market:

• Appearance: The advantage of the Hodving Helmet over the traditional helmet that it is looking more matched with the business look. But the Hodving Helmet will lose this advantage in summer, it will not be matched with summer wear, plus it could be annoying as a collar around neck in hot temperature.

• Maintenance: The traditional helmet don’t need any maintenance just with an quick over look you can realize if you can go out with it or not. In the dashboard of cars there is an indication to show if the airbags are working probably or need a check. What about a ready indication for the Hodvidge Helmet to know if you are protected or not? What would be its mainteance plan?

• Complexity: From the first glance without involving in any details the Hodvide Helmet is more complex which is directly has an impact on its price and on its maintenance.

• Lifetime: Under any condition the life time of the Hodvide Helmet will not be longer that a traditional helmet.

The traditional helmet is more practical and more matched with the environment of a bicycle. Actually, people don’t wear it because they think that driving bicycle is a safe enough than many other things they used to do in their daily life. Rising awreness about the importance of the bike's helmet will open the market for many opportunities.

• M.Emara Novice 37 posts since
    Sep 14, 2011

This is a review about Hodving Helmet on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn65Bows0Ws

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points