i want to use this tool for a design i have to do for production, i need to begin the design immediately and i want to do it with this tool.
1) is this product is ready for use to real PCB production?
2) when do you plan to release the Designer Schematic Unlimited?
3) when do you plan the first release of the layout Designer?
4) in the Digikey web it is written that user that will submit feedback will get FREE upgrade to Designer Schematic Unlimited, can you clarify this statement?
Thank your for your interest and questions:
Here are some answers:
thank you for your fast answer.
1) so, I understand that if I need to start working on a new project (small production project including P.S , WiFi and processor) right now, the Designer Schematic beta release is not suitable for me, am I right?
2) what is the release date of the Designer Schematic?
3) is it possible to begin my design with the beta release and to move it to the Designer Schematic when it will be released?
3) is it possible to convert projects from DxDesigner to Designer Schematic and to convert project from Designer Schematic to DxDesigner?
4) about my question about the free upgrade to Designer Schematic Unlimited -
is it means that if I will submit my feedback on the Digikey site I will get free Designer Schematic Unlimited license?
5) I think that the PartQuest is very helpful capability. but right now I didn't find way to find a Symbol even for simple part like relay.
a) is it possibol to find/produce complex symbols?
b) when the PartQuest plan to be released?
The restriction on "production use" for the release candidate is based on the assumption that we may need to make extensive product changes between now (release candidate) and the production release. At the moment, I do not see any "major changes" coming but the evaluation process is not complete.
Yes, you may move your design from the release candidate "version" to the production release "version". Designs used in release candidate testing are not "throw away" designs... they will move to the production release.
We do not have an exact "release date": Driven by the evaluation process. We are targeting mid to late July but honestly this could slip to August / September if we discover the need for major enhancements or bug fixes in the release candidate testing.
Moving designs between DxDesigner and Designer Schematic. First, all component data (Symbols and Footprints) are compatible (same formats) between Designer Schematic & Layout and PADS (netlist flow). Moving "projects" from Designer to PADS will be straightforward but the opposite direction (PADS to Designer) is a bit more complicated (the PADS designs must conform to the Designer limitations). We are evaluating technical solutions now and while the objective is clear the "method" remains a topic of research & discussion.
PartQuest... it's possible to use complex parts (right now) but the steps are not intuitive. I created a video a couple of weeks back... after I had a couple of beers (it was a late Saturday night). The video is technically very informative but the recording is low quality. I'd be happy to make a copy of the video available to you => Send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll send you a link. Our marketing teams are working to create a professional video (or multiple videos) to cover the same material but I do not have an expected delivery date.
PartQuest will be released when Designer Schematic is released.
Free upgrade: I don't know the details ... What constitutes "feedback" that activates the free upgrade? I am able to confirm that Mentor Graphics did authorize this program. Digi-Key is defining and administrating the program details: We need one of our Digi-Key colleagues to "fill in the details"
hello Dave and Jeremy
thank you for your fast answers, it is very helpful.
as I wrote, I need to start working on a new project (small production project including P.S , WiFi and processor) right now, and I have to use a free software.
I plan (hope) to finish the drawing in 4 - 8 weeks and start the layout.
1) I ask for your advices : do you think that it will be smart to use the Designer Schematic ? or do you suggest me to use other software?.
2) is it an option to extend the beta test license if the "production version" release will be after the beta license expire?
thanks and good day.
Considering that this software will not be free I would suggest that you may want to look at other options, if you need a free tool. The beta test of this software was not meant to be a free tool that could be used as such. The purpose was to increase the ease of use and adoption rate of the software by vetting it with the future users and incorporating their suggestions. Facilitating questions and answers so that users could have direct input into what options and aspects the software would take on.
We do appreciate your questions on the software and letting us know what your needs are for future offerings. At the moment there are no plans to extend licenses for the beta process. I hope this will help in answering your questions on our product offering. We will review your situation/comments and add it to our list of considerations and improvements.
Thanks again for your questions and your time in investigating the software.
The details of the upgrade are as follows:
1. You need to have an activated license (for tracking) during the beta test. You must have provided accurate contact information.
2. If you have provided valuable feedback we will record and monitor that feedback.
3. A unique part number will be sent to you via your TechXchange email. We may privately request contact information on TechXchange to verify our information and yours.
4. You will be able to use the information in the email to purchase the upgraded product or receive the upgrade to the base product.
If you have any questions feel free to contact me.