Spansion® FS-S serial flash memory family offers high-density serial peripheral interface (SPI) flash and supports lower pin counts, enables lower overall system cost, and offers the industry’s fastest read/write performance. These benefits, coupled with a flexible sector architecture, make the Spansion FS family an ideal solution for a variety of industrial, consumer electronics, networking, and automotive applications, with performance that exceeds conventional parallel I/O NOR flash memory. The Spansion FS-S SPI family offers increased levels of read/write performance and functionality with an enhanced feature set, delivering an effective data throughput of up to 80 Mbytes/sec while maintaining backward compatibility with legacy solutions, enabling easy migrations.
Traditional SPI single-bit serial input and output (single-I/O or SIO) is supported, as well as optional two-bit (dual-I/O or DIO) and four-bit (quad-I/O or QIO) serial commands. This multiple-width interface is called SPI multi-I/O or MIO. In addition, the FS-S family adds support for double data rate (DDR) read commands for SIO, DIO, and QIO that transfer address and read data on both edges of the clock.
The family features a page programming buffer that allows up to 128 words (256 bytes) or 256 words (512 bytes) to be programmed in one operation, resulting in faster effective programming and erase than prior generation SPI program or erase algorithms.
Execute code directly from flash using Spansion FS-S devices at the higher clock rates supported, with QIO, or DDR-QIO commands. The instruction read transfer rate exceeds traditional parallel interface, asynchronous, NOR flash memories while reducing signal count dramatically.
The FS-S serial flash products offer high densities coupled with the flexibility and fast performance required by a variety of embedded applications. They are ideal for code shadowing, XIP, and data storage. Software drivers and Linux support in conjunction with the Spansion flash file system make designing with Spansion serial flash easy.
- 128 Mb and 256 Mb density
- x1, x2, x4 bus width
- VCC range of 1.7 V – 2.0 V
- Up to 1.08 MB/s
- 8 x 4 kB and 1 x 32 kB at top/bottom with all remaining sectors 64 kB; option of uniform 256 KB or 64 kB sectors
- Industry-leading DDR 80 MHz quad SPI with read speeds of up to 80 Mbytes/s
- Fast programming time of up to 1.08 MB/s
- Industrial (-40° to +85°) and auto in-cabin (-40° to 105°C) available
- JEDEC JESD126 serial flash discoverable parameters (SFDP) support
- QPI mode
- 100 K cycle minimum endurance
- Advanced security features with OTP area
- Spansion flash file system (FFS)
- Industry standard packages
- 8-pin SOIC 208 mil and 8-land WSON 6 x 5 (128 Mb)
- 16-pin SOIC and 8-land WSON 8 x 6 (256 Mb)
- 24-ball BGA 6 x 8
- Base ordering part numbers include S25FS128S (128 Mb) and S25FS256S (256 Mb)