Adesto Technologies' DataFlash "E" series is a new family of non-volatile memory devices with lower power requirements and smart features for higher system efficiency and lower system costs. The DataFlash E series offers a range of features and options including industry-first capabilities such as wide VCC voltage and an "ultra-deep power down" mode. The E series products also include new "smart" features to improve system performance such as efficient "byte-write" that does not require large block erase and an industry-standard "erase-program-suspend-resume" command.
Byte-write: True Serial E2PROM functionality in a Serial Flash Device
With Adesto's E series devices, programmers issue a single software command to erase/write a single byte. This differs from standard Serial Flash products which require a 4 Kb block erase. That means less memory management is required from the host controller, freeing it for higher priority operations. Less memory management also means a smaller software footprint in the controller's SRAM, providing the designer the flexibility to use a smaller microcontroller, or forego external SRAM.
Ultra-deep Power Down
The E series offers maximum energy savings, via a simple software instruction for ultra-deep power-down. The power-down mode offered by the E series is measured in nano-amps, an order of magnitude better than other competitive products. Software control of power-down allows the designer to eliminate extra hardware components such as low-dropout (LDO) voltage regulators or transistors.
Extended VCC Operation
For mobile or battery-operated devices, the DataFlash E series products can run unregulated to maximize battery life from 1.65 V to 3.6 V uninterrupted. In a comparison of standard VCC
parts, the extended voltage range can maximize the battery life by as much as 1,000 percent while eliminating the cost of low-dropout (LDO) voltage regulators.
Low Power Read
For applications running from smaller, slower MCU/CPUs and not operating in high MHz ranges, DataFlash now supports a Low-Power Read Command that can boost energy savings by typically 20%+ at clock frequencies under 10 MHz compared to standard Read Command options.
The E series family includes a variety of densities ideally suited for a digital voice, image, program code, data storage, and other memory applications.
- 1 Mbit to 64 Mbit densities
- Small page-array architecture
- Extended VCC operation, continuous 1.65 V to 3.6 V and 2.3 V to 3.6 V
- Industry-first serial flash single-command byte erase-modify-write operation
- Individually erasable pages of 256/264, or 512/528 bytes each
- Dual on-chip, independent SRAM buffers
- SRAM buffer size equal to Flash memory page size
- Command-rich instruction set for reduced CPU overhead
- Enhanced low-power read operations
- Zero-power shutdown options: <500 nA standby modes
- Software reset capability
- Erase-Program-Suspend-Resume command for concurrent Read/Write operations
- 104 MHz, 85 MHz SPI, Dual- and Quad-I/O support
- Individual sector protection and 'OTP' sector lockdown
- 128-byte OTP security register
- 100,000 cycles per page minimum
- JEDEC manufacturer and device ID standard