Vishay Siliconix is expanding its PowerPAIR® family of dual asymmetric power MOSFETs for low-voltage DC/DC converter applications. These new devices expand the series’ voltage and package footprint options, making Vishay the only supplier to offer 3 mm x 3 mm, 6 mm x 3.7 mm, and 6 mm x 5 mm PowerPAIR® form factors.
Devices in the Vishay Siliconix PowerPAIR® family help to simplify the design of highly efficient synchronous buck single and multiphase DC/DC converters by providing an optimized combination of two MOSFETs in a single package. Their asymmetric configuration improves performance by allowing the size of the low-side MOSFET to be increased for lower conduction losses. The combination of TrenchFET® Gen III technology and the asymmetric nature of the PowerPAIR® allows Vishay to achieve a maximum on-resistance down to 1.3 m Ω for the low-side synchronous MOSFET, almost 50% lower than in a comparable symmetrical device.
By giving designers two co-packaged MOSFETs, PowerPAIR® devices simplify PCB layouts and reduce parasitic inductance, which can help to reduce switching losses and improve efficiency. The new PowerPAIR® devices will help to promote more efficient use of power and space in a wide range of electronics, including notebook and desktop computers, servers, game consoles, set-top boxes, TV monitors, and modems.
- Simplifies layout
- Maximum current up to > 30A
- On-resistance down to 1.3 m Ω
- High and low side MOSFETs in one compact package
- Three choices of size: 6 mm x 5 mm, 6 mm x 3.7 mm, and 3 mm x 3 mm
- Lowers solution space compared to two discrete MOSFETs, saving clearance and labeling space
- Reduces parasitic inductance from PCB traces, increasing efficiency and reducing ringing
- Power modules
- Graphics cards
- System power, POL, low-current DC/DC, and synchronous buck in notebooks
- Gaming consoles
- Notebook PCs
- Telecom equipment