Line transients are prevalent in industrial, motor control, HVAC relay, and automotive aftermarket applications. Inductive components react with switches, relays and other current control circuits to produce very high voltage spikes and transients. A nominal 24 V system can peak well above the power supply’s rated voltage, damaging critical components or requiring additional protection for sensitive devices. A less costly alternative to this problem is to select ICs designed to support these higher voltages.
Texas Instruments' TPS40170 PWM synchronous buck controller is an ideal solution for applications that could experience voltage spikes up to 60 V. This controller’s high input voltage capability and voltage mode control with integral feed-forward architecture allows it to respond almost instantly to extreme line transients with minimal deviation in the output voltage.
The TPS40170 also integrates flexible sequencing controls, precise UVLO programming, powerful 1+ ampere drivers, an impressive 1 µA shutdown current and miniscule minimum on time of 75 ns. The device supports high input, low output applications at higher frequency and efficiency than previously possible. It enables customers to design single step voltage conversion from high input voltage to low-voltage core power for processors. This simplifies high voltage DC/DC conversion and reduces PCB footprint by up to 50% compared to alternative solutions that require two stage conversions.
- Wide-input voltage range from 4.5 V to 60 V
- 600 mV reference voltage with 1% accuracy
- Programmable UVLO and hysteresis
- Voltage mode control with voltage feed forward
- Programmable frequency between 100 kHz and 600 kHz
- Bi-directional -frequency synchronization with master/slave option
- Low-side FET sensing overcurrent protection and high-side FET sensing short-circuit protection with integrated thermal compensation
- Programmable closed loop soft-start
- POL modules
- Wide input voltage, high-power density DC/DC converters for industrial, networking and telecom equipment