Texas Instruments' bq24260/bq24261 are highly integrated single-cell Li-Ion battery chargers and system power path management devices that support operation from either a USB port or wall adapter supply. The power path feature allows the bq2426x to power the system from a high-efficiency DC to DC converter while simultaneously and independently charging the battery. The power path also permits the battery to supplement the system current requirements when the adapter cannot. Many features are programmable using the I²C interface.
To support USB OTG applications, the bq2426x is configurable to boost the battery voltage to 5 V and supply up to 1 A at the input. The battery is charged with three phases: precharge, constant current and constant voltage. Thermal regulation prevents the die temperature from exceeding 125°C. Additionally, a JEITA-compatible battery pack thermistor monitoring input (TS) is included to prevent the battery from charging outside of its safe temperature range.
- Charge time optimizer (enhanced CC/CV transition) for faster charging
- Integrated FETs for up to 3 A charge rate at 5% accuracy and 93% peak efficiency
- Boost capability to supply 5 V at 1 A at IN for USB OTG supply
- Integrated 17 mΩ power path MOSFET and optional BGATE control to maximize battery life and instantly startup from a deeply discharged battery or no battery
- 30 V input rating with overvoltage protection supports 5 V USB 2.0/3.0 and 12 V USB power delivery (bq24261)
- Smartphone and tablets
- Handheld products
- Power banks and external battery packs
- Small power tools
- Portable media players and gaming