STMicroelectronics' intelligent power modules (IPMs) provide a compact, high performance solution to drive 3-phase motors (BLDC, PMAC, Induction) for a simple and rugged design. It mainly targets low/medium power inverters for applications such as home appliances and HVAC. It combines ST proprietary control ICs with the most advanced short circuit rugged IGBT system technology.
ST’s four newest IPMs are the STGIPS10K60A, STGIPS14K60, STGIPL14K60, and the STGIPS20K60. Each device includes three 600 V IGBT half bridges with freewheeling diodes, ST proprietary control ICs, bootstrap diode, and protection functions, including temperature control and comparators to protect against overcurrent and short-circuit faults. The STGIPL14K60 has the added benefit of internal op-amps, allowing designers to eliminate external current-sensing components normally required to control motor speed (field oriented control). This device also has internal dead-time insertion to prevent excessive current damaging the IGBTs as well as a smart-shutdown function also featured in the STGIPS14K60 and in the STGIPS20K60.
- 600 V, 3-phase IGBT inverter bridge including control ICs for gate driving and freewheeling diodes
- Short-circuit protected IGBTs
- Isolated package up to 2500 VRMS/min
- Smart shutdown function (STGIPS14K60/STGIPL14K60/STGIPS20K60)
- Comparator for fault protection against overcurrent, overtemperature, and short circuits (STGIPS14K60/STGIPL14K60/STGIPS20K60)
- 3-phase inverters for motor control:
- Brushless DC motors
- AC induction motors
- Permanent magnetic synchronous motors