ROHM’s latest SiC MOSFET series features dramatically lower switching loss, as much as 90% compared with silicon IGBTs, due to the absence of tail current and fast recovery characteristics of the body diode. The resulting 70 ns-90 ns turn ON/OFF times allow for switching frequencies in the hundreds of kilohertz (kHz) range, making it possible to reduce the size and weight of passives while enabling designers to achieve higher efficiency systems by implementing simpler, less expensive cooling systems by using smaller, lighter passive air-cooled heat sinks instead of liquid or forced-air thermal management.
ROHM has also succeeded in overcoming problems associated with characteristics deterioration due to body diode degradation during reverse conduction (for example, increased ON resistance, forward voltage, and resistance deterioration) and premature failure of the gate oxide film by improving processes related to crystal defects and device structure; reducing ON resistance per unit area by about 30% over conventional products.
In addition to the standard lineup, ROHM offers the popular SCH2080KE, the industry's first SiC MOSFET to co-package a discrete anti-parallel SiC Schottky barrier diode, featuring a forward voltage three times smaller than that of the body diode. This minimizes power loss (by 70% or more) while saving valuable board space, simplifying layout, and reducing BOM costs compared to equivalent discrete solutions.
Click here for Loss Comparison Graph
- High-speed switching (ton = 70 nsec, toff = 98 nsec typical)
- Class-leading low ON-resistance with minimal temperature dependency
- Significantly-reduced power loss – no tail current results in 80% lower switching loss versus silicon IGBTs
- Prevents degradation caused by parasitic diode conduction
- Co-packaged SiC SBD (SCH2080KE) reduces forward voltage along with the number of external parts, saving space
- DC/DC converters
- Solar power inverters
- 3-phase inverters
- Power conditioners
- Uninterruptible power supplies (UPS)
- Inverters for EVs and HEVs
- AC inverters
- Industrial equipment