Micrel, Inc.'s MIC26950 is a constant frequency, synchronous buck regulator featuring a unique digitally modified adaptive ON-time control architecture. The MIC26950 operates over an input supply range of 4.5 V to 26 V and provides a regulated output at up to 12 A of output current. The output voltage is adjustable down to 0.8 V with a typical accuracy of ±1%, and the device operates at a switching frequency of 300 kHz.
Micrel’s Hyper Speed Control™ architecture allows for ultra-fast transient response while reducing the output capacitance. It also makes (High VIN)/(Low VOUT) operation possible. This digitally modified adaptive tON ripple control architecture combines the advantages of fixed frequency operation and fast transient response in a single device.
The MIC26950 offers a full suite of protection features to ensure protection of the IC during fault conditions. These features include undervoltage lockout to ensure proper operation under power-sag conditions, internal soft-start to reduce inrush current, fold-back current limit, "hiccup" mode short-circuit protection, and thermal shutdown.
- Foldback current limit and "hiccup" mode short-circuit protection
- –40°C to 125°C junction temperature range
- Hyper Speed Control™ architecture enables:
- High delta V operation (VIN = 26 V and VOUT = 0.8 V)
- Small output capacitance
- Supports safe start-up into a pre-biased load
- Any Capacitor™ Stable
- Zero ESR to high-ESR output capacitance
- Output down to 0.8 V with ± 1% accuracy
- 300 kHz switching frequency
- 12 A output current capability
- 28-pin 5 mm x 6 mm MLF® package
- Internal compensation
- Up to 95% efficiency
- 6 ms internal soft-start
- 4.5 V to 26 V input voltage
- Printers, scanners, graphic cards, and video cards
- Distributed power systems
- Communications/networking infrastructure
- Set-top boxes, gateways, and routers