Micrel's MIC2166 is a synchronous adaptive on-time buck controller, targeting high-performance, cost-sensitive applications such as set-top boxes, gateways, routers, computing peripherals, and telecom/networking equipment. The MIC2166 operates over a supply range of 4.5V to 28V. It has an internal linear regulator that provides a regulated 5V supply to power the internal control circuitry. MIC2166 operates at a constant 600kHz switching frequency and can be used to drive up to 25A of output current. The output voltage is adjustable down to 0.8V.
A UVLO feature is provided to ensure proper operation under power-sag conditions to prevent the external power MOSFET from overheating. Additionally, a soft-start feature is provided to reduce the inrush current. Short current sensing on the bottom MOSFET with hiccup mode operation ensures protection in case of an output short circuit. Furthermore, the MIC2166 includes an EN pin to shut down the converter and a PGOOD pin to allow simple sequencing.
- Built-in 5V regulator for single-supply operation
- Input voltage range: 4.5V to 28V
- 5μA typical shutdown current
- 25A output current drive capability
- Output down to 0.8V with ±1% accuracy
- 600kHz switching frequency
- Internal 5ms digital soft-start
- Thermal shutdown and hiccup current limit protection
- No external current-sense resistor required
- -40°C to 125°C junction temperature range