A flagship member of the TINI family, the MAX98089 is a full-featured audio codec with Maxim's FlexSound digital signal processor. This highly integrated device offers a stereo Class D speaker amplifier, stereo Class H headphone amplifier, a differential receiver amplifier, and up to three differential microphone amplifiers-all in a small WLP or TQFN package.
Class D speaker amplifiers provide efficient amplification for two speakers. Low radiated emissions enable completely filterless operation. Integrated bypass switches optionally connect an external amplifier to the transducer when the Class D amplifiers are disabled.
The IC features a stereo Class H headphone amplifier that utilizes a dual-mode charge pump to maximize efficiency while outputting a ground referenced signal that does not require output coupling capacitors.
The IC also features a mono differential amplifier that can be configured as a stereo line output.
Two differential analog microphone inputs are available, as well as support for two PDM digital microphones. Integrated switches allow for an additional microphone input as well as microphone signals to be routed out to external devices. Two flexible single-ended or differential line inputs may be connected to an FM radio or other sources.
Integrated FlexSound technology improves loudspeaker performance by optimizing signal level and frequency response, while limiting the maximum distortion and power at the output to prevent speaker damage. Automatic gain control (AGC) and a noise gate optimize the signal level of microphone input signals to make best use of the ADC dynamic range.
- 5.6 mW power consumption (DAC to HP at 97 dB DR)
- 101 dB DR stereo DAC (8 kHz < fS < 96 kHz)
- 93 dB DR stereo ADC (8 kHz < fS < 96 kHz)
- Stereo, low-EMI class D amplifiers
- 1.7 W/Channel(8 Ω, VSPK_VDD = 5.0 V)
- 2.9 W/Channel(4 Ω, VSPK_VDD = 5.0 V)
- Efficient, class H headphone amplifier
- Differential receiver amplifier/stereo line outputs
- 2 stereo, single-ended/mono differential line inputs
- 3 differential microphone inputs
- FlexSound technology
- 5-Band parametric EQ
- Automatic level control (ALC)
- Excursion limiter
- Speaker power limiter
- Speaker distortion limiter
- Microphone automatic gain control and noise gate
- Dual I²S/PCM/TDM digital audio interfaces
- Asynchronous digital mixing
- Supports master clock frequencies from 10 MHz to 60 MHz
- RF immune analog inputs and outputs
- Extensive click-and-pop reduction circuitry
- Available in 63-bump WLP package (3.80 mm x 3.30 mm, 0.4 mm pitch) and 56-pin TQFN package (7 mm x 7 mm x 0.75 mm)
- Ideal for any product (tablets, netbooks, smartbooks) that uses a codec, but cannot afford to use higher cost HDI (high density) PCBs.