Maxim's MAX9271 compact serializer is designed to drive 50 Ω coaxial or 100 Ω shielded twisted-pair (STP) cable. The device pairs with the MAX9272 deserializer.
The parallel input is programmable for single or double input. Double input allows higher pixel clock-input frequency by registering two pixels of typical image-sensor video data before serializing. This doubles the maximum pixel clock frequency compared to a single input.
The device features an embedded control channel that operates at 9.6 kbps to 1 Mbps in UART and mixed UART/I²C modes, and up to 400 kbps in I²C mode. Using the control channel, a microcontroller (µC) is capable of programming serializer, deserializer, and camera (or any peripheral) registers at any time, independent of video timing. There is one dedicated GPIO, four optional GPIOs, and a GPO output, allowing remote power-up of a camera module, camera frame synchronization, and other uses. Error-detection and correction coding are programmable.
For driving longer cables, the device has programmable pre/de-emphasis. Programmable spread-spectrum is available on the serial output. The serial output meets ISO 10605 and IEC 61000-4-2 ESD standards. The core supply range is 1.7 V to 1.9 V and the I/O supply range is 1.7 V to 3.6 V. The device is available in a 32-pin (5 mm × 5 mm) TQFN-EP package with 0.5 mm lead pitch and operates over the -40°C to +105°C temperature range.
- Ideal for camera applications
- Drives low-cost 50 Ω coaxial cable and FAKRA connectors or 100 Ω STP
- Error detection/correction
- 9.6 kbps to 1 Mbps control channel in I²C-to-I²C mode with clock stretch capability
- Best-in-class supply current: 75 mA (max)
- Double-rate clock for megapixel cameras
- Serializer pre/de-emphasis allows up to 15 m cable lengths at full speed
- 32-pin (5 mm × 5 mm) TQFN package with 0.5 mm lead pitch
- High-speed data serialization for megapixel cameras
- Up to 1.5 Gbps serial-bit rate with single or double input: 6.25 MHz to 100 MHz clock
- Multiple control-channel modes for system flexibility
- 9.6 kbps to 1 Mbps control channel in UART-to-UART or UART-to-I²C modes
- Reduces EMI and shielding requirements
- Output programmable for 100 mV to 500 mV single-ended or 100 mV to 400 mV differential
- Programmable spread spectrum on the serial output reduces EMI
- Bypassable input PLL for parallel clock jitter attenuation
- Tracks spread spectrum on parallel input
- Peripheral features for camera power-up and verification
- Built-in PRBS generator for BER testing of the serial link
- Up to five GPIO ports
- Dedicated "Up/Down" GPO for camera frame sync trigger and other uses
- Remote/Local wake-up from sleep mode
- Meets rigorous automotive and industrial requirements
- -40°C to +105°C operating temperature
- ±8 kV contact and ±15 kV Air ISO 10605 and IEC 61000-4-2 ESD protection