Maxim Integrated's DS3231M is a low-cost, extremely accurate, I²C real-time clock (RTC). The device incorporates a battery input and maintains accurate timekeeping when main power to the device is interrupted. The integration of the micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS) resonator enhances the long-term accuracy of the device and reduces the piece-part count in a manufacturing line. The DS3231M is available in the same footprint as the popular DS3231 RTC.
The RTC maintains seconds, minutes, hours, day, date, month, and year information. The date at the end of the month is automatically adjusted for months with fewer than 31 days, including corrections for leap year. The clock operates in either the 24-hour or 12-hour format with an AM/PM indicator. Two programmable time-of-day alarms and a 1 Hz output are provided. Address and data are transferred serially through an I²C bi-directional bus. A precision temperature-compensated voltage reference and comparator circuit monitors the status of VCC to detect power failures, to provide a reset output, and to automatically switch to the backup supply when necessary. Additionally, the RST pin is monitored as a pushbutton input for generating a microprocessor reset.
- Timekeeping accuracy ±5ppm (±0.432 second/day) from -45°C to +85°C
- Battery backup for continuous timekeeping
- Low power consumption
- Footprint and functionally compatible to DS3231
- Two time-of-day alarms
- 1 Hz and 32.768 kHz outputs
- Reset output and pushbutton input with debounce
- Fast (400 kHz) I²C-compatible Serial Bus
- +2.3 V to +5.5 V supply voltage
- Digital temp sensor with ±3°C accuracy
- -45°C to +85°C temperature range
- 8-Pin or 16-Pin SO packages
- Underwriters Laboratories (UL) recognized