Linear Technology's LTC2461 and LTC2463 are ultra tiny, 16-bit analog-to-digital converters with an integrated precision reference. They use a single 2.7 V to 5.5 V supply and communicate through an I²C interface. The LTC2461 is single-ended with a 0 V to 1.25 V input range and the LTC2463 is differential with a 1.25 V input range. Both ADCs include a 1.25 V integrated reference with 2 ppm/°C drift performance and 0.1% initial accuracy. The converters are available in a 12-pin 3 mm × 3 mm DFN package or an MSOP-12 package. They include an integrated oscillator and perform conversions with no latency for multiplexed applications. The LTC2461 and LTC2463 include a proprietary input sampling scheme that reduces the average input current several orders of magnitude when compared to conventional delta sigma converters.
Following a single conversion, the LTC2461 and LTC2463 automatically power down the converter and can be configured to power down the reference. When both the ADC and reference are powered down, the supply current is reduced to 200 nA.
The LTC2461 and LTC2463 can sample at 60 conversions per second and have extremely relaxed antialiasing requirements due to the very large oversampling ratio. Both include continuous internal offset and full-scale calibration algorithms, which are transparent to the user, ensuring accuracy over time and the operating temperature range.
- 16-bit resolution, no missing codes
- Internal reference, high accuracy 10 ppm/°C (Max)
- Single-ended (LTC2461) or differential (LTC2463)
- 2LSB offset error (Typ)
- 0.01% gain error (Typ)
- 60 conversions per second
- Single conversion settling time for multiplexed applications
- 1.5 mA supply current
- 200 nA sleep current
- Internal oscillator – no external components required
- Ultra-tiny, 12-lead, 3 mm × 3 mm DFN and MSOP packages
- 2-Wire I²C interface with two addresses plus one global address for synchronization
- System monitoring
- Environmental monitoring
- Direct temperature measurements
- Data acquisition
- Embedded ADC upgrades