Diodes Incorporated introduced a single-chip IC for driving single-coil reversible DC fans and motors. A highly-integrated device, in a choice of SO-8 and thermally-enhanced SO-8 exposed- pad packages, the ZXBM5210 reduces component count and circuit footprints in medium voltage, low-power applications in consumer, domestic appliance, industrial, and office equipment.
The driver’s integrated high-performance H-bridge output stage can deliver currents as high as 70.0 mA continuous, 1.2 A peak, and has been designed to meet stringent low noise requirements by minimizing both audible switching noise and electromagnetic interference. Its generous supply range of 3 V to 18 V means the device will support a wide variety of single phase 5, 9, 12, and 15 V DC motors. Typical operating current is a low 0.85 mA.
Achieving highly linear speed control, the ZXBM5210 has four modes of operation: forward, reverse, brake and standby, which are selected via the device’s FWD and REV input pins. Motor speed is regulated by modifying the duty ratio of PWM signals applied to the two inputs or by adjusting the DC input voltage to the VREF input pin. The PWM oscillator is integrated within the device and no external timing capacitor is required.
The ZXBM5210’s standby mode consumes a typical current of only 32 μA, thus improving motor driving power efficiency. To prevent damage to either the motor coil or driver IC, the ZXMB5210 incorporates under-voltage lockout, over-voltage, over-current, and thermal shutdown protection functions. Product reliability and robustness is further enhanced by the devices’ high ESD withstand capability of 6kV and wide operating temperature range of -40°C to +105°C.
Features and Benefits
- Supports single-coil reversible DC motor applications
- Operating voltage: 3 V to 18 V
- Four modes of operations: forward, reverse, brake and standby
- Low quiescent current of 0.85 mA typical in normal operation and 32 µA in standby mode
- Internal over current protection
- Under-voltage lockout and over-voltage protection
- Over-temperature protection
- -40°C to +85°C /105°C operating temperature
- 6 kV ESD withstand capability
- Standard SO-8 and thermally-enhanced SO-8EP
- Totally lead-free and fully RoHS compliant
- Halogen-and antimony-free “Green” device
- 5 / 9 / 12 / 15 V DC reversible motors and actuators
- Home appliances
- Handheld power tools
- Valve open and close
- Remote-control motorized toys
- Medium voltage and low power DC motors