The AS3935 from ams is a programmable lightning sensor IC that detects the presence and approach of potentially hazardous lightning activity in the vicinity. It detects intra-cloud activity, as well as cloud to ground flashes, often enabling risk to be evaluated for approaching storms.
The AS3935 detects lightning activity as it approaches from up to 40 km away. In addition, the AS3935 identifies and rejects interference signals from common man-made sources, including fluorescent lighting, motors, microwave ovens, and switches.
Based on scientific research, the distance of the storm activity can be statistically calculated from the measured signals. This information allows the user to set warning levels appropriate for their specific application. Personal safety can be set at the most conservative alert, whereas equipment protection can balance confidence, signal strength, and battery life.
The flexible IC allows for configurability that allows the part to work both indoors as well as outdoors, just by changing the gain setting in a register.
|Features and Benefits
- Lightning Detector warns of lightning storm activity within a 40 km radius
- Distance estimation to the head of the storm down to 1 km in 14 steps
- Detects both cloud-to-ground and intra-cloud (cloud-to-cloud) flashes
- Embedded man-made disturber rejection algorithm
- Programmable detection levels enable threshold setting for optimal controls
- SPI and I²C interface is used for control and register reading
- Antenna Tuning to compensate variations of the external components
- Supply voltage range 2.4 V to 5.5 V
- Power-down, listening, and active mode
- Package: 16LD MLPQ (4 mm x 4 mm)
- Weather stations
- Clocks, sports equipment
- Pool safety
- Uninterruptible power supply
- Global positioning system
- Cellular phones
- Golf equipment
- Power line conditioners