More about Kionix
Kionix—A Company in Motion
Kionix is a leading supplier in the global market for micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS) inertial sensors for the consumer electronics, automotive, industrial and healthcare sectors. Augmenting our broad array of inertial sensors, we also provide development tools and application support to enable motion-based gaming; user-interface functionality in mobile handsets, tablets, personal navigation systems and TV remote controllers; and hard-disk-drive drop protection in laptops and other mobile products. Kionix offers one of the industry’s broadest families of MEMS devices that incorporates 3-axis accelerometers and gyroscopes, 6-axis combination products, and mixed-signal-interface integrated circuits that provide algorithm processing of sensor data.The Total Solution
Today’s OEMs and ODMs face mounting pressures. Performance and power efficiency are more critical than ever while time-to-market and volume production challenges affect their ability to deliver consumer devices in mass-market quantities. Add increasing requirements for motion-enabled applications to the mix, and you have a confluence of factors intensifying demands on product manufacturers.
Recognizing the pressures our customers face, Kionix provides a complete offering of hardware, software and services that add up to a total solution.Kionix offers:
Value Beyond Silicon
- A field-proven product line of accelerometers that satisfies diverse requirements for low power, high performance and user programmability.
- A new generation of gyros optimized for mass-market applications. Our tri-axis gyros strike a balance between current consumption and noise with excellent bias stability over temperature, establishing exceptional performance for consumer-class devices.
- A partnership approach that begins with early development and culminates in our customers’ delivery of product to market.
- A portfolio of software solutions that eases the implementation of motion functionality in end applications, improving performance and accelerating design cycles.
- World-class manufacturing capacity and capability, which enable us to meet volume production on stringent deadlines while maintaining the highest quality standards.
- Global responsiveness and support with regional offices throughout Asia and in Europe.
- Synergy with our parent company ROHM—a multi-billion dollar semiconductor company with a vast distribution network; exceptional field engineering group; global R&D organization with proven design expertise; and worldwide quality-assurance systems—strengthens our ability to serve a large global customer base.
Mobile devices are growing increasingly complex. More often than not, they require designers to integrate a variety of sensors—such as accelerometers, gyros, magnetometers, pressure sensors, temperature sensors and GPS—within a single device to enable compelling applications. As a sensor supplier with extensive expertise in sophisticated systems, Kionix eases these integration challenges by providing comprehensive “sensor fusion” software solutions. Through sensor fusion, we allow customers to derive more functionality and accuracy from the sensor clusters while leveraging embedded and application software, and optimizing power consumption for overall performance.
While looking at the overall system is an important part of our work, we also offer specific algorithmic and software solutions for our accelerometers and gyros. Embedded algorithms and application software, such as Directional Tap/Double-Tap™, Directional Shake™, Gesture Designer™ and screen orientation, are available at no additional charge to our customers.
E-compass solutions and application development complete our “value beyond silicon.” We partner with select magnetometer suppliers to offer best-in-class compatible solutions.
We offer drivers, reference code and other software in support of the major mobile operating systems, including Android, Windows Mobile 7, Windows Mobile 8, Web OS, Symbian and others. We provide common, easy-to-use USB development tools as well.
“Value beyond silicon” is one of Kionix’s core offerings. And, with a substantial application development team, we invest the resources to successfully sustain our leading position in this critical area.
Manufacturing Capability, Reliability and Quality
Located in Ithaca, NY USA, Kionix has extensive manufacturing and office space. This includes our own captive MEMS foundry for sense-element fabrication and dedicated cleanrooms for final product test. Recent capacity expansions to our cleanrooms will allow us to more than double our production capacity year-over-year by 2013. Further broadening Kionix’s capacity is our manufacturing collaboration with ROHM, through which we can fulfill even the highest-volume orders.
Coupling our capacity expansion with the most stringent testing requirements in the industry means that we can achieve greater volume while preserving an outstanding parts-per-million (ppm) success rate in MEMS manufacturing.
Kionix adheres to the highest standards of quality and has earned ISO 9001 and TS 16949 certifications. Plus, all of our products are RoHS Compliant.Company History
Founded in 1993, Kionix is headquartered in Ithaca, NY USA and has regional offices in Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Taiwan, Singapore, Silicon Valley, CA and Chicago, IL.
Kionix supplies MEMS inertial sensors to leading electronics companies, including many top-tier OEMs and ODMs that produce game devices, mobile handsets, tablets, laptops and other high-volume applications. The Company has more than 200 employees worldwide. In 2009, Kionix became a wholly owned subsidiary of ROHM Co., Ltd., a Kyoto, Japan-based, multi-billion-dollar, diversified electronics supplier.