InvenSense - InvenSense® is the pioneer and global market leader in MEMS System on Chip (SOC) solutions. Our single-chip MotionTracking™ solutions combine micro-electromechanical system, or MEMS, based motion sensors, such as accelerometers and gyroscopes, with mixed-signal integrated circuits (ICs) to improve performance, accuracy, and intuitive motion- and gesture-based interfaces.
- Sensor Fusion
|ITG-3701 Triple-Axis Gyroscope - Today’s wearable sports applications require higher than the common ±2000 dps (degrees per second) FSR so that critical data is not lost at the point of impact. The ±4000 dps range of the ITG-3701 enables precise analysis of a golf or tennis racquet swing, and soccer ball and basketball applications providing continuous data before, during, and after impact. The InvenSense ITG-3701 directly addresses the wearable sports market technology requirements with lowest-power consumption of only 5.9 mW (3.3 mA at 1.8 V), extending battery life and an industry first 0.75 mm height.
|ICS-40310 MEMS Analog Microphone - The ICS-40310 is a high-performance MEMS microphone with a combination of very-low power consumption, high SNR, and a tiny package. Running from a 1 V supply, the ICS-40310 consumes only 16 µA of current while providing a 64 dB SNR with an analog 4.5 kΩ impedance output.
|MPU-9250 9-Axis Gyroscope + Accelerometer + Magnetometer - The MPU-9250 is InvenSense's second-generation 9-axis MotionTracking device for smartphones, tablets, wearable sensors, and other consumer markets. The MPU-9250, delivered in a 3 x 3 x 1 mm QFN package, is the world's smallest 9-axis MotionTracking device and incorporates the latest InvenSense design innovations, enabling dramatically-reduced chip size and power consumption, while at the same time improving performance and cost.
|INMP441 MEMS Digital Microphone - The INMP441 is a high-performance, low-power, digital-output, omnidirectional MEMS microphone with a bottom port. The complete INMP441 solution consists of a MEMS sensor, signal conditioning, analog-to-digital converter, anti-aliasing filters, power management, and an industry-standard 24-bit I²S interface.
The InvenSense Shuttle gives MEMS developers the opportunity to fabricate their designs on InvenSense’s patented InvenSense Fabrication MEMS-CMOS integrated platform. This proven process has been used to produce over 200 million inertial sensors that have been integrated into a variety of applications. The InvenSense Shuttle is a multi-project shuttle service that is open to qualified MEMS device developers from commercial companies as well as from the research community. Contact email@example.com to reserve your seat on the next InvenSense Shuttle.
||InvenSense is proud to be involved with higher education institutions and students with the usage of motion sensors. Motion sensors are quickly becoming essential components in a wide variety of applications enabling features that enhance the operation on an ever-expanding list of products. InvenSense is a strong believer that projects conducted at the university and collegiate level will contribute to the experience and success of students. Current students and professors worldwide will shape the fields of science and engineering in future years. University Program Request Form.
Our Developers Corner provides all the tools you need for intelligent sensor application development. InvenSense Registered Developers gain access to our Software Downloads, Developer Kits, Knowledge Center, Discussion Forum, Application Pages, Support Center, and eNewsletter.
|More about InvenSense
InvenSense Inc. (NYSE: INVN) is the leading provider of intelligent sensor system on chip (SSoC) and Sound solutions for consumer electronic devices such as smartphones, tablets, wearables, gaming devices, optical image stabilization, and remote controls for Smart TVs. The company’s sensor solutions are also being integrated into a number of industrial applications. The company’s patented InvenSense Fabrication Platform and MotionApps software address the emerging needs of many mass-market consumer applications via improved performance, accuracy, and intuitive motion-, gesture- and sound-based interfaces.
MotionTracking is rapidly becoming a key function in every consumer electronics device as it provides a more intuitive way for consumers to interact with their electronic devices by tracking their motions in free space and delivering these motions as input commands. Audio is similarly becoming complementary to motion as a means for interacting with contextually aware devices and applications. InvenSense’s vision is to be the leading provider of sensor Systems on Chips (SoC) platform solutions providing an ‘AlwaysOn’ solution by enabling the most seamless sensing experience at the lowest power.
InvenSense’s microphone portfolio builds on a strong heritage of industry firsts, including continuous improvement of MEMS microphone SNR, ever-higher integration levels, and even lower power consumption. InvenSense combines the capability to sense audio along with cutting-edge motion detection, which is important for many contextual awareness applications.
InvenSense MotionTracking portfolio accurately tracks complex user motions requires the use of motion sensors such as gyroscopes, accelerometers, compasses, and pressure sensors, properly calibrating the data, and then fusing the sensor outputs into a single and accurate data stream for use by motion applications. InvenSense delivers turn-key solutions with fully integrated MotionTracking devices, robust MotionApps algorithms, and in-use calibration firmware. The company’s patented InvenSense Fabrication process is the key technology which enables direct integration of MEMS mechanical structures with CMOS electronics at the wafer level.
Founded in 2003, InvenSense is headquartered in San Jose, California with offices in China, Korea, Japan, Slovakia, Taiwan, and Wilmington, MA.
We invite you to register for our Invensense Developers Corner for intelligent sensor. Below you will see the different pages that are contained within the Developers Corner, each page is loaded with vital material to help you get underway with your sensor application development. To help you get more familiar with what the Developers Corner is offering we have a brief overview below of what's included on the different pages.
We have a few different options available for all your sensor fusion and calibration needs:
- Open source drivers for 6-axis operation, portable to all MCU platforms
- Software libraries for 9-axis operation, available for numerous MCU platforms
- Hardware + software developer kits for contextually aware and wearable application development
- Universal Data Logging application for evaluation
This is where you can find all the supporting documentation for our software downloads as well as a wealth of application notes and whitepapers on our motion and audio sensors.
If you're interested in designing wearable applications, then check out this page. Here you will find information on our Sharkband wearable design. Also included are a brief market overview as well as key design considerations and applications in the wearable space.
Audio is becoming a key differentiator in consumer electronics and InvenSense is now a player in this market. Key specifications and how they relate to application trends provide insight into some of the ways InvenSense is leading the market.
A large portion of our Developer Community is leveraging InvenSense parts for their industrial design. Popular applications and important parameters are covered in this section.
A discussion forum for all things InvenSense related. Collaborate and interact with fellow developers and get your technical questions answered.
Support Center and FAQ
A comprehensive list of introductory Q&A focused on motion sensors and the rich data they provide. You can also send in support questions directly to InvenSense by filling out the form or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Sensor Fusion technology consists of a hardware acceleration engine we refer to as a Digital Motion Processor (DMP) and sensor fusion firmware. Sensor Fusion technology enables the conversion of analog signals to digital signals and intelligently assimilates them into usable data. The Embedded MotionApps platform which includes drivers and libraries provide application programming interfaces (API) and calibration algorithms that simplify access to complex functionality commonly needed by customers. This platform utilizes the output from the DMP layer to enable system designers to use the sensor data in their applications without the need to understand detailed motion sensor outputs and develop related motion interface algorithms. InvenSense offers numerous embedded solutions that are supported across a variety of microcontroller platforms.
Embedded MotionDriver 6.1 - 9-axis solution compatible with all ARM Mx core architectures
Embedded MotionDriver 5.1.2 – 6-axis solution supported on all platforms.
- Embedded MotionDriver 6.1 is our first ever 9-axis solution not locked to a specific MCU. This release is supported across all ARM Mx core architectures and supports the InvenSense MPU-6000, 6050, 6500, 9150, and 9250. The release includes optimized libraries and example projects for M3 and M4 cores as well the generic ARM library for any Mx core and an additional library and project for the TI MSP430. eMD 6.1 also includes a Python client for both visualizing the sensor performance and commands for printing data. This solution will allow you to easily leverage and configure numerous features of the DMP and also benefit from dynamic features in the MPL software library.
Automatic Activity Tracking Library - 6-axis library for fitness tracking applications supported on the Atmel M4 platform
- Embedded Motion Driver 5.1.2 is our six-axis version of eMD 6.1. If a compass in not required for your application than we recommend using this. This is a thin and lightweight solution that can be ported to any MCU with little difficulty. The driver is available in full source with a DMP binary image that is responsible for fusing and calibrating the data from the gyroscope and accelerometer. There is no software library included in this release. This release includes a python cube demo and is also very suitable for application development. There is an also an example for SPI implementation if I2C is not suitable. This SPI example can also be used for eMD 6.1
MoveaTV Demo – SmartMotion Remote demo for the PC and Android Nexus 10
- This library is designed specifically for wrist worn fitness tracking applications and can detect numerous activities. It must be used with either the MPU-6555 or MPU-9255 and the Atmel Cortex M4 (ATSAM4LS4A). This library can detect sit, stand, walk, run, bike, swim, drive, and sleep analysis on a wrist worn wearable device. This solution is ideal for Smart Watch, Smart Band, and Fitness Tracker applications that want to enable the next generation features for wearable products. The library uses data calculated on the sensor DMP (Digital Motion Processor) to recognize new activities typically within 10 seconds and with 95% accuracy for true positives. A pedometer comes with the AAR™ library that benefits from the contextual awareness of knowing which activities will require steps and which will not. The AAR™ library is optimized to recognize the users “persistent” activity useful in applications where you are trying to catalog the user’s daily fitness level.
Contextual Awareness Developer Kit 5.1 – Wearable Sensor form factor board for 9-axis development
- In order to evaluate these demos InvenSense has created the SmartMotion Remote Control Reference Kit. Both kits can be explored and evaluated using TI’s RF4CE or Bluetooth remote platforms.
- These demos feature our SmartMotion Sever. In this architecture the raw sensor data is sent from the remote control to the host, which is typically a Set-Top-Box, Smart TV, or tablet device. The host contains the SmartMotion firmware which than processes the raw sensor data into user commands. There are two types of SMS we have available for evaluation, one for Android and the other for the PC.
MotionFit Developer Kit 5.1 – Wearable Sensor form factor board for 9-axis development
- The CA-SDK is our latest SDK which features the MPU-9250 and supports 9-axis operation. The TI MSP430 MCU is pre flashed before shipping with our Embedded Software library which allows for 9-axis operation. This library is also included as an option in the eMD 6.1 package. The board is also populated with a Bluetooth module and a temperature, humidity, pressure, proximity, UV and Ambient light sensors for development of contextually aware applications. This wearable sensor form factor board can be purchased in our InvenSense Online Store. A robust Android and Python demo are included for visualizing and logging data.
Universal Datalogger 1.1 – Evaluation software for logging raw data
- The MotionFit SDK 5.1 is our legacy developer kit that features the MPU-9150 and supports 9-axis operation. The TI MSP430 MCU is pre flashed before shipping with our Embedded Software library which allows for 9-axis operation. This library is also included as an option in the eMD 6.1 package. A Bluetooth module is also on board for wireless communication. This wearable sensor form factor board is available for purchase in our InvenSense Online Store. A Teapot, Android, and Python demo are included for visualizing and logging data.
- This is a very basic demo that can print/stream raw data to a PC and is to be used for evaluation purposes only. You will need an EVB for the part you wish to evaluate and anARM board that interfaces to the EVB over I²C. *Only support up to Windows 7*